Coaching aids in the discovery journey as you reflect and choose paths toward a more ideal state. As you partner with the coach to find new insights, you understand the acts needed to deepen and move you forward.
Coaching vs. Mentoring
Coaching is a process of discovery. The coach aids in that process by asking powerful questions and serving as your advocate to evoke transformation. Mentoring is a relationship where wisdom is shared in one direction from the mentor to the mentee. Actions are suggested based on the mentor’s experience.
What to Expect During Coaching?
A coaching engagement usually is 3-6 months meeting every 2-4 weeks for one hour. The cadence of meetings will be determined by you and your coach. The sessions can be held in your office, by phone or a neutral location jointly determined.
The Initial Meeting:
- Discuss what is involved in coaching
- Determine if coaching is right for you now
- Decide if the coach is a good chemistry mix
The First Coaching Meeting:
- A confidentiality contract will be discussed and signed by both parties
- The Professional Wheel of Life exercise or other assessments will be presented to review your current state
- A discussion of what is important to you or your values
- Jointly establish goals for your coaching sessions
- Determine cadence of meetings
On-going Coaching Meetings:
- Debrief the coach on what has transpired since last coaching session
- Update on goals progress or actions completed
- Discuss areas you want to coach on for the session
- Establish actions until next session